A homemade dairy-free sour cream recipe that is Paleo, grain-free, and gluten-free? A dollop to the top of my favorite Crockpot Paleo Turkey Chili convinced me I need this amazing dairy-free, soy-free sour cream in my life!
This simple dairy alternative to sour cream is super easy to make and so creamy delicious!
With the mild flavor of cashews, that are soaked and then blended super creamy, you’ll be amazed how close it resembles the real thing!
This recipe came from necessity. It’s not easy finding good, reasonably priced dairy-free sour cream.
My vegan cream cheese recipe is so delicious and authentic, I figured I would try a vegan sour cream as well.
During recipe testing, I slathered it on stuffed peppers (recipe coming soon) and I couldn’t get enough. 🙂
Is Sour Cream Considered A Dairy Product?
- Yes, it is created by fermenting cream with certain types of lactic acid bacteria, which sours and thickens the cream.
Can You Substitute Coconut Milk For Sour Cream?
- There is a recipe that uses coconut milk and lemon juice to create a dairy-free sour cream. I have not tried this recipe, but, it’s an option and is nut-free as well.
How To Make The Best Dairy-Free Sour Cream:
- Place cashews in a glass bowl and cover with water.
- Set aside for at least four hours (but no longer than 8 hours or they may have an unpleasant flavor – bitter).
- Drain and rinse cashews and place them in a small food processor.
- Add the lime or lemon juice, coconut vinegar, water, and salt.
- Blend for 1-2 minutes until very creamy. I love this mini-food processor for this task. Any small food processor or high powered blender will work fine. It will be silky, but not as thin as cashew cream, but not as thick as cashew butter.
- Optional: add a half cup of unsweetened dairy-free dairy yogurt. The yogurt adds the creaminess and texture of delicious sour cream.
Other Dairy-Free Sauces To Try:
While there are dairy-free sour cream brands available in the grocery store, I enjoy the ease of making my own and controlling the ingredients.
Where To Use Dairy-Free Sour Cream:
Anywhere you would use regular sour cream.
Ideas to get the imagination flowing.
- Garnish Chili and stews (Crockpot Paleo Chili)
- In and on top of creamy soups (Paleo Butternut Squash Soup)
- With Tacos
- Use it to make an awesome sauce by adding herbs and flavorings.
- In deviled eggs
- To make salad dressings (example: ranch)
- Add caramelized onions to make french onion dip (and other dips).
- Make a dip by adding dried chives.
- To make creamy Paleo mashed potatoes.
- In twice baked potatoes
- To make avocado cream
- To top a bowl of fresh berries
- To make tartar sauce
- With nachos
- Use as a dip for freshly chopped vegetables.
- As an accompaniment to kebabs
- Dip for crudites, potato wedges, french fries, and savory fritters.
- Dollop on veggie or salmon cakes.
- Drizzle over Whole30 meatballs, Whole30 sausage or burgers.
- Great with Mexican food.
Below is the blended and super creamy dairy-free sour cream.
I store in a glass jar with a lid in the refrigerator for a few days.
Next time you need dairy-free sour cream, instead of buying, try this homemade recipe. 🙂
It’s easy and delicious. Enjoy!
Easy and super creamy dairy-free sour cream that tastes like the real thing! So authentic and can be used anywhere regular sour cream would be.
- 3/4 cup whole raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon coconut vinegar (sub apple cider vinegar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free unsweetened yogurt
Place cashews in a bowl, cover with water and soak for 4 hours.
Drain and rinse cashews and place them in a food processor.
To the cashews, add the other ingredients (lime or lemon juice or a combination of both), vinegar, water, and salt) in the food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until very creamy.
Pour the sour cream into a mixing bowl, add the dairy-free yogurt and stir combine.
Use on your favorite foods.
Store in the refrigerator for up to a few days. Best served cold.
I was searching for the BEST dairy free recipe and this one is definitely my favorite!!! Thank you so much for perfecting it!! FYI, of all plain coconut yogurts that I’ve tried, the Harmless Harvest is THE best!!!
Thanks for your comment and so glad you like this recipe! Great tip about your favorite coconut yogurt.
Hi Christine, wondering what type of non-dairy unsweetened yogurt do you suggest?
I usually use a dairy-free coconut milk yogurt, So Delicious is one brand, but there are several at the grocery store that I like.
Just wondering if I can substitute the coconut vinegar with something more readily available in the shops? Thanks!
Yes! Apple cider vinegar or white vinegar. Enjoy!
Can this sour cream be a substitute for regular sour cream in baking recipes?
Hi Traci, I have not tried this sour cream recipe as a substitute in baking recipes.
This REALLY WORKS for someone who loves sour cream and wants a non-dairy alternative!