Vegan cream cheese that is so authentic, you’ll be making a batch every week!
Four ingredients – 20 minutes – BOOM – the best dairy-free cream cheese!
Perfect slathered on crackers, as a spread (add your favorite herbs or seasonings), on baked potatoes, or licked off the spoon!
Ingredients For This Vegan Cream Cheese Recipe:
- Raw unsalted cashews
- Fresh lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt
- Optional – dried herbs such as chives, fresh herbs to flavor cream cheese.
How To Make Vegan Cream Cheese:
Step 1 – Gather your ingredients.
Step 2 – Place cashews in a heatproof bowl and add boiling/very hot water to cover them. Soak for at least 10 minutes.
Step 3 – Drain and rinse the cashews. They should have a softened appearance.
Step 4 – Place all the ingredients in a small food processor or high-speed blender.
Step 5 – Blend until smooth and creamy. In the below photo, you can see the stages the mixture goes through to get to the creamy stage.
Step 6 – Once creamy, add a little water to thin out if needed. And check for seasonings; salt, herbs, etc…
- Makes a great dip with sliced veggies, crackers, spread on bagels, etc…
Serve with Paleo Cracker. (also vegan). The grain-free crackers are low carb, easy to make and versatile. I often add herbs, sesame seeds or sprinkle some sea salt on them. Also, try spreading some almond butter and jam on those crackers. Yum!
What You Will Love About Homemade Vegan Cream Cheese:
- It does not have the additives of store-bought vegan cream cheese. Although, please note: I love and buy a few store-bought brands on occasion for the occasional treat (and consume in small quantities).
- It can be made in about 20 minutes from start to finish!
- Everyone loves this cream cheese – Mr. 24CK who is not dairy-free is a huge fan! (I have to sometimes hide it in the fridge from him!)
What Is The BEST Vegan Cream Cheese?
- Made with vegan products but has the taste and consistency of traditional dairy cream cheese (and is easy to make!).
What Is Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Made Of:
- This recipe uses cashews and liquid to achieve a delicious cream cheese.
- Some recipes use tofu, dairy-free yogurt, other nuts – all viable options depending on what you want to use.
How Long Does Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Last?
- It lasts about a week stored in the refrigerator.
Tips For Making Cashew Cream Cheese:
- Use raw unsalted cashews.
- Add some (2-3 tablespoons) unsweetened dairy-free yogurt to add some creaminess if desired.
- Serve with vegan chips, sliced veggies (carrot and celery are delicious),
- Add some powdered sugar to make a vegan cream cheese frosting.
- Thin out with some water, add some chopped herbs for a fabulous dip.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- You might need to add water and stir to combine when removing from the refrigerator to thin out. (I usually don’t, but on occasion do.)
- An alternate method to hot/boiling water method is to cover and soak cashews for four hours (then drain and rinse and follow directions).
More Recipes Using Cashews:
Vegan Recipes To Try:
- Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
- Gluten-Free Pizza Crust
- Vegan Waffles Recipe
- Gluten-Free Vegan Brownies
- Vegan Donuts (chocolate)
- Maple Pecans
- And many more —-> Vegan Recipes
★Did you make this recipe? Please give it a 5-star rating below!★
This creamy, non-dairy cream cheese is very easy to make with just five ingredients. Grain-free, gluten-free and vegan!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried chives (optional, add to your taste, add herbs or leave out)
- pinch sea salt (to taste)
- water as needed to get the right consistency
Pour cashews into a bowl. Pour very hot to boiling water over the cashews. Let sit for 10 minutes. *See notes for an alternate method of soaking.
Drain and rinse cashews. Place cashews along with other ingredients into a small food processor and blend for several minutes until very creamy and the consistency of cream cheese.
Add water to reach desired consistency (if not creamy enough and if you will be consumed as a dip).
Add additional chopped herbs or dried chives if using.
Store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Try this vegan cashew cream cheese with delicious gluten-free, Paleo, vegan bagels!
Update Notes: This post was originally published on September 14, 2016, but was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, step by step instructions and photos, success tips and a video in November 2018.