Slow cooker turkey chili with all the fixins! Comfort food that’s hearty and delicious! This version is Paleo and has no beans.
This hearty bowl of chili warms the body and soul. Let all the ingredients simmer and later in the day you’ll have a wonderful meal waiting for you.
This Paleo Chili recipe uses ground dark turkey, canned organic tomatoes (but I often add some freshly chopped organic tomatoes as well), some delicious veggies, and spices that combined make a recipe you will want to make again and again.
Making Your Easy Paleo Chili:
Step 1 – Gather and measure the ingredients.
Step 2 – Cook and brown the ground turkey in a saute pan.
Step 3 – Add all the ingredients to a slow cooker pot or crockpot.
Step 4 – Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-8 hours. Ready to serve with your favorite toppings.
Variations to Your Whole30 Chili Recipe:
As with all chili recipes, you can vary the veggies and spices to your preferences. I recently discovered adding some chopped sweet potatoes, but regular chopped potatoes would also work. You are starting to move away from a traditional chili recipe and more towards a stew, but I really like to try new things. I have also made a variation of this completely meatless, with the potatoes and it was amazing!
Low fodmap version:
- Use garlic or onion infused oil instead of the garlic and onions. Saute garlic and onion, large enough pieces to remove, in olive oil for a few minutes. Remove the garlic and onion and use the oil.
- More information about low fodmap diets: Monash University – great information .
- Sliced or diced avocado
- Dairy-free sour cream
- Shredded lettuce
- Grain-free tortilla chips
- Chopped onions
- Chopped tomatoes
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Chopped olives
- Chopped green onions
- Jalapeno slices
- Sliced radishes
Tips and techniques:
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker (crockpot).
- Add some chopped sweet potatoes.
- Can I substitute the turkey for another meat? Yes, ground beef or ground chicken would work perfectly.
- Can I cook the turkey in the slow cooker? Yes, but I recommend cooking on the stove in a saute pan first.
Other recipes to try:
- Spaghetti Squash with Turkey Meatballs
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Turkey Sausage
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast
- Turkey Breast with Peach Glaze
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
Slow cooker turkey chili with all the fixins! Comfort food that's hearty and delicious! This version is Paleo and has no beans.
- 1 lb dark ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- l large garlic clove minced
- 1/2 in onion chopped ( I have used either yellow or red onion this recipe)
- 2 cups chopped diced peppers (about 1/2 of a red and 1/2 of a green) pepper (could use yellow also). Shortcut: use frozen sliced peppers and chop them.
- 1 cup celery, chopped and diced (about 5 large stalks)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped and diced (about 5 large carrots) Shortcut: use frozen sliced carrots.
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 28 ounce can fire roasted petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a skillet, saute onion and garlic until translucent in 1 tablespoon olive oil, about 5 minutes. Keep a close watch to make sure onion and garlic don't burn.
Add ground turkey to skillet and brown and cook turkey until no longer pink.
Add turkey mixture and all other ingredients into your slow cooker. Stir the ingredients to combine. Then put on the lid and set the temperature.
I cook this two ways - on high for 3 hours if I want/need it sooner or 6-8 hours on low if I have the time to wait. Both ways are great.
This recipe was originally published on November 3, 2014, and was updated with new photos and descriptions in May 2020.