Paleo Chocolate Cake
Chocolate cake and I have a long history, but as luck would have it, I’m on a grain-free diet. How to find the best, easy, grain-free chocolate cake I wondered. A Paleo chocolate birthday cake recipe that was amazing.
My baking career started at the age of four, where on my outdoor patio, at my family’s house on Long Island, I mixed up batter from store bought packages and then baked it in my cherished Easy Bake Oven.
Soon after I was baking real cakes. And, during these years I fulfilled my lifetime quota of marble bundt cakes.
Just about every celebration or milestone has cake.
A Grain Free Diet And Paleo Chocolate Cake:
Three years ago, my doctor asked me to try a gluten and dairy free diet (then, eventually grain free). I said yes, but not without tears. So many changes. So much to learn.
And the ultimate question? Would it work?
The diet has been amazing for me and turned out to be the best thing to help heal my gut issues.
One reason? This Paleo Chocolate Cake. The everyday, not just for special occasions, decadent chocolate cake.
It has gotten much easier to love a gluten free diet now.
This easy paleo cake is intensely chocolate, fudgy, and moist. Spread a little chocolate ganache icing on it. This also makes the most amazing chocolate birthday cake.
Making Your Paleo Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- For an 8 inch round cast iron skillet, press some parchment paper inside. If you place something like a few potatoes on the parchment paper, it will usually keep it down in the skillet until you are ready to add your batter.
- I have also made this in an 8″ round cake pan (see photos below), which I line with parchment paper for easy removal and clean-up.
- Add all of the ingredients (almond flour, almond butter, egg, pumpkin puree, organic raw cacao powder, maple syrup, baking soda, vanilla, and salt) into the bowl of an electric mixer and mix on medium for about 2 minutes. (Full printable instructions are at the bottom of this post).
- Pour batter into the cast iron skillet and bake for 25-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and cake looks done.
- Let cool completely before frosting or icing the cake.
- You will love this easy dairy free chocolate icing that is shown in the photos.
Paleo chocolate cake batter in 8″ round pan that has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed very lightly with coconut oil spray.
Cooled Paleo chocolate cake ready for icing! Look at that amazing texture!
What You Will Love About This Paleo Chocolate Cake:
- No baking pan to clean – if you use the parchment paper and cast iron skillet method
- Less sugar/sweetener than traditional chocolate cakes
- Easy, two ingredients, dairy free chocolate ganache icing
- Can all be mixed in one bowl
- Make ahead, store in fridge
- Grain, gluten, and dairy free, but everyone will love
- Is fresh and homemade, make any time you choose
Storing Your Grain-Free Chocolate Cake:
I find storing in an airtight container (such as these) works the best for me. For best results, consume within a day or two of baking. But realize this cake has amazing disappearing powers.
So thankful to receive this message via Instagram from a reader recently!
“It’s getting late, but couldn’t end my birthday without sharing this amazing Paleo Chocolate cake recipe with you. I made it last week and IT…IS…SO…GOOD! My family tore it up! It even comes with a wonderful chocolate ganache frosting.”
Bonus: This recipe also makes amazing cupcakes!
Chocolate lovers will want to try these Coconut Flour Chocolate Donuts!
Tools For Making This Cake
Stand Mixer: I always find it much easier mixing ingredients with an electric mixer.
Beater Blade With Scraper: I love this! No more scraping down the batter!
Almond Flour: Blanched almond flour works best in this recipe.
Wire Cooling Racks: Helps cakes and baked goods cool faster.
Cast Iron Skillet: Great for this and so many recipes.
Thank you for using my affiliate links, which at no extra cost to you, provides me with a small commission that helps with the running of this site. I look forward to creating and posting many more delicious recipes for you.
I hope this will become your favorite grain-free chocolate cake for birthdays, celebrations or just an everyday chocolate fix!
Please feel free to share this with anyone you think would love a delicious Paleo flourless chocolate cake!
This is my go-to decadent paleo chocolate cake. It is easy to make, grain, gluten and dairy free. I love to make it on a parchment paper lined skillet for easy cleanup. It's a winner all around!
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup almond butter (try my recipe on the site or a creamy store bought brand)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup organic raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using parchment paper, line an 8" cast iron skillet.
Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer, mix for several minutes in well mixed.
You can also mix in a bowl with a wooden spoon or spatula if desired. If you go this route, you should probably whisk the almond flour to get out all the lumps and then add the remaining ingredients.
Pour batter into prepared cast iron skillet and smooth batter.
Bake for 25-27 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before icing/frosting.
Consider using the Paleo Chocolate Ganache Icing on the site for this cake. Yum!
This post contains affiliate links, which means we receive a percentage of the sale if you use the link to make your purchase. This does not change the price of the product. This income directly offsets the cost of web hosting and expenses so we greatly appreciate your support.
Easy to Pin It Strip: