Mint chocolate chip coconut ice cream is creamy and delicious dairy-free ice cream! Just a few ingredients are needed for this vegan ice cream!
How to make:
- Gather and measure ingredients.
- Pour coconut milk and coconut cream into a medium-sized saucepan and turn to low heat. Stir until combined and melted.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Turn off the heat and add in the peppermint flavor.
- Add the mixture to an ice cream maker and prepare ice cream according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour into a freezable container. If consumed immediately, it will have a soft-serve consistency. If you freeze for a few hours, the ice cream will become hard and you can scoop to serve.
Coconut Ice Cream:
Dairy-Free Ice Cream:
Tips and Techniques:
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator while ice cream is being made in the ice cream maker to help keep ice cream cold.
- Take the ice cream out of the refrigerator about 10 minutes prior to serving as it will get very hard in the freezer.
- Store ice cream in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- One can full-fat coconut milk
- One can coconut cream (optional but adds creaminess. I used Native Forest, unsweetened, organic coconut cream premium, 5.4 can.) You could sub a few tablespoons of coconut cream from the top of a can of full fat coconut milk, or leave out.
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint flavor (it's in the same bottle as extracts)
- 1/8 cup mini chocolate chips (dairy-free)
- 1/8 cup chopped chocolate bar (I used 85% cacao organic)
Place both coconut milk and coconut cream in a saucepan and heat until they are melted but not boiling.
Add maple syrup and stir.
Turn off the heat and add peppermint flavor.
Pour mixture into a glass container and place in the fridge for several hours until very cold.
Pour mixture into your ice cream maker and process per manufacturer's instructions.
While your ice cream is in the ice cream machine, place the bowl back in the refrigerator to stay *cold. This helps when you pour your ice cream into the bowl. It allows you to add chocolate chips, stir and combine without the ice cream melting as fast.
When done, pour ice cream into your cold bowl, add chocolate chips and chopped chocolate and stir to combine.
Either consume immediately or place in the freezer until more frozen and then scoop ice cream and serve.
Notes: Placing an empty bowl back in the fridge while ice cream is being made in ice cream maker is helpful because this will give you time to add chocolate chips/chocolate chunks and stir before it all starts melting.
If you freeze prepared ice cream for longer than several hours, it will become very hard. You will simply need to remove from the freezer, place a room temperature for a period of time (20 minutes?) until it is soft enough to scoop. Some preparation in advance is necessary, but so worth it!
it has everything you could want in an “ice cream” …except dairy!
Yes, so good!