This post may contain affiliate links.
Since going dairy free, it has been an interesting challenge finding suitable substitutes for favorite foods. Finding a delicious non-dairy whipped cream fits into this category.
So, what is the solution? The store-bought variety was expensive, had a few ingredients I wanted to avoid and didn’t taste right.
How easy would it be to make my own?
Would it be time-consuming, would I need any special equipment; and, most important, how would it taste?
Is it possible to find something that I could make anytime, with confidence it would work and satisfy everyone, even my dairy-loving friends?
Later in this post, I will share some favorite tips and tricks when making this dairy free whipped cream recipe.
First Attempts At Making Homemade Coconut Dairy-Free Whipped Cream:
- inconsistent results due to the brand of coconut milk (watery, lumpy, strong coconut flavor)
- not blended enough (lumpy)
- not cold enough (coconut cream cooperates best when very cold)
Making Your Non-Dairy Whipped Cream:
The best solution for me was to make my own homemade dairy-free whipped cream. What a surprise – it’s easy to make!
Three Easy Steps:
- There are three ingredients – coconut cream, organic powdered sugar and vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, mix these well for several minutes.
- Use immediately or store in the fridge for later use.
Tips/Tricks For Success When Making Your Coconut Whipped Cream:
- Use this brand of organic coconut milk (I have tried several and this consistently gives me the best results).
- Place mixing bowl (my favorite electric mixer) in refrigerator about one hour prior to making your coconut whipped cream to get bowl cold.
- Use the whipping attachment to remove lumps from your coconut cream. If that doesn’t work, use a spoon to “smush” the lumps. A smooth coconut whipped cream is key.
- Use organic powdered sugar – the one that is sugar and tapioca starch (I don’t use the brands with cornstarch). The tapioca starch gives some “stiffness” to the whipped coconut cream.
Recipes to Use Your Coconut Whipped Cream:
- As a topping to these tasty waffles
- The finishing touch on this recipe.
- A wonderful addition to this dessert drink.
- Love it in this recipe.
- Always in this afternoon treat.
Benefits of Coconut Cream:
There are many great benefits to coconut cream. Coconut cream is a healthy food that is beneficial to the immune system and can help fight disease and improve blood pressure. Coconut cream contains lauric acid, a medium-chain fatty acid. I enjoy coconut cream in moderation. Look at coconut whipped cream in this delicious recipe.
A creamy, delicious non-dairy whipped cream is just minutes away!
I can’t wait to share my latest recipe creations with you! Be sure to subscribe to the email list so you will be notified when new recipes are available!
What is your favorite recipe with whipped cream?
- 1 can full fat organic coconut milk (scoop the thick, white coconut cream from can, save water for smoothies)
- 1-2 tbsp organic powdered sugar (test for desired sweetness level, can sub maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
Place a can of organic coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4-6 hours to get very cold.
Tip: I place the metal mixing bowl from my electric mixer in the refrigerator about 1 hour before I make the coconut whipped cream to get the bowl cold.
Place the thick, white coconut cream from the can of coconut milk into the cold mixing bowl and using the electric mixer, and whipping attachment, mix for about 1 minutes, trying to make sure to remove all lumps and make whipped cream very smooth.
Add the organic powdered sugar and mix for another minute. Taste for desired sweetness level and add more sweetener if needed. Then add the vanilla extract and mix until combined (about 20 seconds).
Then add the vanilla extract and mix until combined (about 20 seconds).
The coconut non-dairy whipped cream can be used right away or placed in the fridge for later use. You might have to re-whip if it needs it. To get the same effect I did in the photos, place the coconut whipped cream into a piping bag with tip. It's very easy to get this effect and fun too! Enjoy!