Chocolate Shell, also known as Magic Shell is a delicious, super-easy ice cream topping made with just two ingredients – chocolate chips and coconut oil!
This delicious recipe takes only a few minutes to make! Watch as it magically hardens as you pour it over your favorite ice cream!
The perfect ice cream topping for a hot summer day or any time! It’s especially fun to make with kids
How to make:
1- Gather and measure the ingredients (chocolate chips and coconut oil). Place the chocolate chips into a microwavable bowl. If you do not want a strong coconut taste, use refined coconut oil.
2- Scoop the coconut oil into the bowl with the chocolate chips. If making in the warmer weather, the coconut oil will be liquid. Adjust the recipe by using 2 3/4 Tablespoons coconut oil.
3- Microwave the chocolate chip, coconut oil mixture in 30-second intervals until almost completely melted.
4- Stir to combine coconut oil and melted chocolate chips.
5- Let stand to cool for a few minutes and then it’s ready to pour over your favorite ice cream! It will harden very quickly (less than a minute).
6- Store in an airtight container at room temperature. There is no need to refrigerate. If it hardens, simply microwave to melt it prior to serving (try 10-30 seconds depending on your microwave).
Tips and Techniques:
- If you want a milder coconut flavor, use refined coconut oil.
- The chocolate shell hardens fast so if you are adding another topping, such as sprinkles, nuts, etc. you’ve got to act fast to get them to stick.
- Ensure that all utensils, the bowl is free from water and it can make the chocolate seize (which changes the consistency from silky to clumpy and pasty).
How do you store Magic shell?
- Pour into an airtight glass jar with lid and store in a cabinet. If it hardens, you can microwave to make liquid again.
Ice Cream Toppings:
Many homemade ice cream toppings are so easy to make and you get to control the ingredients! Other toppings to add to your ice cream:
- Chopped nuts
- Chocolate chips
Here are a few other recipes from the archives that are great toppings for ice cream.
- Dairy-Free Ganache – another delicious chocolate icing for cakes or other desserts.
- Vegan Caramel Sauce – easy to make and so tasty!
- Coconut Non-Dairy Whipped Cream – when making ice cream sundaes this whipped cream is a favorite!
I used a spoon to ladle the chocolate topping over the ice cream cones. The chocolate topping hardens rather quickly so if you are adding sprinkles, chopped nuts or any other topping, you have to do it quickly. As soon as the chocolate topping goes on, sprinkle your topping of choice immediately.
Chocolate Shell a.k.a. Magic Shell Ice Cream Topping! Two ingredients and takes less than 5 minutes to make! The perfect summertime treat, a fun recipe to make with kids, and a great hostess gift!
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use dairy-free)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (Use refined if you want milder coconut flavor)
Place the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a microwavable bowl.
Microwave in 30 second intervals until mixture is almost completely melted. Stir to combine and let sit for a few minutes. Pour over ice cream and it will harden in about 30 seconds.
Store in an airtight container. It will last several weeks.
Originally published on September 12, 2013, and updated with new photos and recipe descriptions in March 2020.
Update: I recently had a reader contact me about chocolate “seizing” when using butter. I have had chocolate seize (clump and become unusable) at times, but not for this recipe. I did a little research and the bowl and all utensils must be dry – no water at all or the chocolate could seize. I actually had chocolate seize a few weeks ago for a recipe and I didn’t want to throw it out and waste it, so I added some coconut oil and it came back to life (hooray!). Thank you for all your comments! They are appreciated!!