Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding is an amazing vegan chia seed pudding that is dairy-free and loaded with omega 3 fatty acids!
This chia pudding with almond milk is as delicious as a dessert but healthier! Five ingredients, this chocolate chia pudding gets thick and creamy in minutes!
How To Make Chia Pudding:
- Gather the ingredients
- Add all the ingredients to a blender, chia seeds last.
- Blend on high for a few minutes until completely blended.
- Pour into an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for a few hours, or if desired the night before for breakfast.
Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding:
- Chia puddings make a great breakfast. They take a few minutes to make or make ahead and store in the refrigerator for a quick and easy breakfast.
- This Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding has a great, intense chocolate flavor and is subtly sweet.
- I only need to add one tablespoon of maple syrup, but you can adjust according to your preferences.
Overnight Chia Pudding:
- Make the chia pudding recipe as directed, place in an airtight container and it will be thick and creamy the next day.
Tips and Techniques:
- Add chia seeds right before you start blender; if they sit in the blender cup with the other ingredients they could gel up and make it hard to blend.
- If chia seed pudding is too thick, add more milk or water.
- If chia seed pudding is too thin, add a bit more chia seeds (start with one teaspoon) and let sit 30 minutes.
- You can make this recipe without blending the chia seeds. The pudding will have more crunch because the chia seeds will be visible, but it is an option.
- A substitute for the almond milk is any other milk of preference including coconut milk.
- Honey or any other preferred sweetener may be substituted for the maple syrup.
Chia seed pudding toppings:
- Chopped nuts
- Flaked coconut
- Grated chocolate
- Chocolate chips
- A drizzle of chocolate syrup
- Sliced bananas
- Whipped cream
How long can you keep chia seed pudding in the fridge?
- Chia seed pudding will last about 5 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
What is the best way to eat chia seeds?
- Chia seeds (white or black) can be added to your favorite smoothies, oatmeal, or yogurt. Chia seeds can be used as a replacement to eggs in many baked goods by using “chia eggs”.
How do I thicken my chia pudding?
- If chia seed pudding is too thin, add a bit more chia seeds (start with one teaspoon), stir and let sit for about 30 minutes.
Do I have to refrigerate my chia seeds?
- Chia seeds can be kept in a sealed container in the pantry, however, I keep mine in the refrigerator to ensure they stay fresh longer.
Can you freeze chia pudding?
- Yes, pour the pudding into an ice cube tray (or something similar) and make cubes. Store the cubes in a plastic freezer bag. Take the cubes out to defrost about 5-7 hours before you plan to consume.
Can I mix chia seeds with milk?
- Yes, this recipe uses milk to create a delicious pudding. You could also use water as a substitute to milk.
Coconut Milk Chia Pudding:
- For a nut-free version, substitute almond milk for coconut milk.
Chia Seed Pudding Recipes:
- Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding
- Chia Seed Pudding
Chocolate Chia Pudding is an amazing vegan chia pudding that contains omega 3 fatty acids. Try it as an overnight chia pudding for the ultimate chia breakfast!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (may substitute milk of choice)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder (may substitute cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (may substitute honey or sugar-free sweetener)
- 1/3 cup organic chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch sea salt
Place all ingredients in a blender (best to add chia seeds last).
Blend away for several minutes until pudding is well combined.
Pour pudding into a glass jar with a lid and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
The pudding thickens over time in the refrigerator.
When serving, add berries, chopped nuts or other favorite garnishes (coconut whipped cream).
Adding the chia seeds last works best because chia seeds tend to "stick" to the sides of the blender otherwise.
When making this pudding, I add one tablespoon of maple syrup. My theory is that you can always add a little to your serving if you desire; but, like salt, you can't take away if too much is added.
Most times, it is sweet enough for me as is. So, taste and add to your preferences.
Resource: Chia Seeds
Tasty pudding and the seeds are so healthy!
Thanks so much!
This sounds soooo good, and it’s healthy, so I can have it for breakfast, right? 😉
Thanks Sue – yes, I love it for breakfast!
I’ve never used Chia seeds, but this is changing my mind. Who can resist chocolate pudding?
Renee, yes, I agree! It’s a great first chia recipe to try. I usually buy chia seeds on Amazon lately. The prices and quality seem to be the best I have found.
Ali @ Home & Plate
This is for breakfast? Now I am in heaven. This would be the absolute perfect breakfast for the kids and adults alike. Yum!
Hi Ali – chia seeds make awesome, healthy puddings. Lots of omega 3’s!
I have recently joined the chia seeds bandwagon, i know a little too late but beenlooking for more chia seeds recipes . thanks for sharing
Hi Khadija – aren’t they great? I recently discovered them myself. They are great in smoothies also!