Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting that is, with 3 ingredients, easy to make! A Paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free and vegan chocolate icing perfect for this Paleo Chocolate Cake, Coconut Flour Chocolate Donuts, or chocolate whipped cream frosting for cupcakes (Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcakes). You’ll find many uses for this delicious chocolate icing!
This recipe came about when I did not have all the ingredients on hand for my Dairy-Free Chocolate Ganache. My Paleo Chocolate Cake was baking and I had no interest in running out to the store for just one item. And with not a lot of time, I decided to try this combo of ingredients out.
The Dairy-Free Ganache and this Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting are both vegan chocolate frostings with coconut milk, yet they are completely different. It’s great to have options.
How Do You Make Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting?
- Organic Coconut Milk (full-fat in the can)
- Organic Raw Cacao Powder
- Organic Powdered Sugar
How Do You Make Whipped Cream Frosting?
Tip: Refrigerate the organic coconut milk the day prior use. You want the coconut cream to be very cold.
- Using an electric mixer with the whipping attachment, add the coconut cream from one can of organic coconut milk. Scoop out the thick, white cream and save the coconut water for smoothies.
- Whip the coconut cream for about two minutes until very creamy with no lumps.
- Add the organic raw cacao powder and organic powdered sugar and whip for another minute or two until combined and creamy.
- You can use the icing right away to frost your cake or refrigerate and use later.
- Once you have iced your cake, I store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve for better icing consistency.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for several days in an airtight container.
Icing Tips and Ingredients Substitutions:
Although the organic powdered sugar helps the consistency, you could substitute maple syrup and it would be delicious as well.
I prefer organic raw cacao powder over cocoa powder since it is reported to be less processed and have valuable nutrients. However, you could probably substitute cocoa powder in this recipe.
The recipe can be doubled if more is needed or for larger cakes. This portion frosted one 8″ Paleo Chocolate Cake.
Since this easy dairy-free chocolate icing is essentially like whipped cream, you could use it anywhere you would use that. Yum!
Don’t be surprised if this becomes a favorite dairy-free icing recipe for cakes! Enjoy!
The BEST Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting! Dairy-Free Chocolate Icing - Just a few ingredients are needed for this amazingly creamy, delicious icing! Paleo-friendly, grain-free, gluten-free and vegan!
- 1 can organic full-fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- 2 tbsp organic powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp organic raw cacao powder
Using an electric mixer with the whipping attachment, add the "cream" from the can of coconut milk. Save the "water" for smoothies or discard.
Whip the coconut cream for 2 minutes.
In a small bowl, add the powdered sugar and cacao powder and whisk into a fine powder and to remove as many lumps as possible.
Add the powdered sugar and cacao powder and whip for another two minutes.
Test for taste and add more sweetener if desired.
Ready to use!