Panzanella Salad Recipe is a favorite that gets made all summer long! This Paleo version is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and vegan. Made with farm fresh vegetables, it is beyond delicious!
Wait, what about the bread? Don’t worry, we’ve got a plan!
Classic Panzanella Salad is also called Tuscan Tomato and Bread Salad since it was originally from the Tuscany area of Italy as a way to use up stale bread (clever!). This Paleo version departs a little from the Traditional Panzanella Salad by using my eggless waffle recipe to replace the bread.
Later in the post, I’ll show you exactly how it makes a delicious stand-in for bread!
The first time I heard of Panzanella Salad was via Barefoot Contessa, which this recipe is based on.
Ingredients For Panzanella Salad Recipe:
- Other – red onion, peppers,
- Salad dressing
How To Make The Paleo “Croutons”:
- Make a batch of my Eggless Waffle Recipe. (This is my favorite waffle iron.)
- Take one waffle and cut it into cubes.
- In a bowl, add one tablespoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of your favorite herbs (or leave herbs out).
- Toss the waffles cubes with the olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper.
- Add to cast iron skillet, cook and toast for several minutes until slightly brown and crunchy (like croutons!).
- Add to the Panzanella Salad, pour over some Paleo dressing and enjoy! (The croutons are amazing with the dressing!)
Making Your Panzanella Salad Recipe:
- Wash and dry all the vegetables.
- Chop the lettuce
- Slice cucumber lengthwise, remove seeds and cut into pieces.
- Cut top off the pepper, remove seeds and cut into pieces.
- Chop basil leaves.
- Remove the skin of the red onion, and cut into pieces. I cut into rings, you can also cut into small pieces.
- Toss the ingredients in a large bowl. (as shown below)
This is really a cinch to make, so fresh and delicious. It is completely customizable; replace or add the veggies you like. Next time, I might substitute chopped zucchini for the cucumber.
What To Serve With Panzanella Salad:
Panzanella is great as a main meal, but here are some great accompaniment options:
- Roast chicken (try my easy baked chicken breasts)
- Grilled chicken (as made in the Grilled Chicken Cobb Salad recipe)
- Orange Glazed Salmon
- Sauteed Skillet Salmon with Vegetables
Making The Salad Dressing:
Tip: The dressing comes together easily, but I would recommend combining salad and dressing just before serving.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Dijon mustard
- White wine vinegar
- Sea salt
- Ground pepper
Add the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk for a minute until completely combined. Alternatively, you could place all ingredients in a small food processor and whizz for 30 seconds to combine.
★ Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating below!
PIN for later!
Enjoy this amazingly delicious Panzanella salad recipe with a freshly made Paleo dressing all summer long! Gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free and vegan!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 crispy waffle, cut into cubes (recipe on my site)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried herbs
- 1/2 cucumber (seeded and sliced into cubes)
- 1/2 slice yellow pepper (cut into small cubes)
- 1 slice red onion
- 10 leaves basil (chopped)
- 2 cups chopped lettuce of your choice
- 2 tomatoes, large
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Heat olive oil in cast iron skillet (or another skillet), on medium-low. Add the cubed waffles pieces and saute until toasted, about 5-8 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn.
In a small bowl, whisk, the minced garlic, dijon mustard, white wine vinegar, 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper (last six ingredients). This is the Paleo salad dressing.
In a large bowl, add all the chopped vegetables, basil, lettuce, "croutons". Pour over the dressing and stir to mix.
Best served at room temperature.
*Please note: the nutrition facts label is only for salad and not for waffle which is used for croutons. For the waffle nutrition label, go to that post to view.
*Cherry tomatoes are also delicious in the recipe, especially if regular tomatoes are not available.
This post was updated: August 3, 2018