Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes are creamy and delicious! A great side dish to many entrees, these Paleo mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon are grain, gluten and dairy-free!
Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
I love recipes that have five ingredients or less (plus salt and pepper to taste). Especially when they are simple, healthy and delicious. These mashed sweet potatoes are good any time of year, but would be a great “pin” for Thanksgiving recipes or side dishes.
- Place 1/2 cup of cashews (I used raw) in a bowl and add cold water to cover them (covering by about an inch of water over cashews).
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, drain the cashews and rinse with cold water.
- In a blender, place the cashews and enough water to cover them.
- You will need to blend on high for several minutes until the mixture turns very smooth.
- To make a thicker cashew cream, reduce the amount of water that you initially add to the blender with the cashews.
- This recipe calls for 1/3 cup cashew cream. Consider using any extra, leftover cashew cream to spread over some warm apple crisp. Yum!
Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes:
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
1 tablespoon ghee
1/3 cup cashew cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven, place potatoes and cover with water, covering one inch over the potatoes.
On high, allow water to boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and you can test with a knife. Drain the potatoes.
Related: Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole
In an electric mixer, with the wire whisk attachment, mix the potatoes on low speed for 1-2 minutes.
Add the ghee, cashew cream, maple syrup or honey, and cinnamon.
Continue to mix on medium-high for several minutes, until the mixture is creamy and smooth and resembles mashed sweet potatoes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Then continue to mix for about 1-2 minutes more.
Then serve. The Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for several days.
Paleo Mashed Sweet Potatoes are so creamy and delicious! Grain, gluten and dairy-free! They are an awesome dish to any entree!
- 6 cups medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced (about 5 )
- 1 tablespoon ghee (can sub coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven, place peeled and diced potatoes covered with water. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil, cook uncovered. Boil for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Cook over high heat and bring to a boil, cook uncovered. Boil for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Drain potatoes and place in an electric blender fitted with the whisk attachment.
Blend the mixture for about 1 minute on low speed until mixture is smooth and creamy. Next, add ghee, cashew cream, maple syrup and cinnamon and whisk on medium-high until smooth and the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add the salt and pepper to taste and whip one more minute.
Serve immediately, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to a few days.