Wowsa – it has been cold in the Northeast! In my opinion, to combat this, there is nothing like a warm, comforting bowl of soup. I have my usual favorites, like the Creamless Tomato Soup, which I made recently again. By the way, thank you for the reader comments from those of you who have made and loved it as well. 🙂
Well, I have found another great soup/stew in this Butternut Squash Aduki Soup. Aduki (also known as Adzuki) is a type of bean and I use the Eden brand as it is organic and comes in a BPA free can. You could substitute another type of bean, no problem and I have done that in the past.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and diced (may sub sweet potato)
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock.
- 1 can Aduki beans but you may sub another type of bean., I use Eden brand from Whole Foods
- 1/4 cup minced flat leaf parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium dutch oven (or soup pot), over medium heat, place 3 tablespoons EVOO and the diced onions and minced garlic and saute for about 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent and begins to soften.
Add the butternut squash and let this cook for 3-5 minutes more.
Add the coriander, stir, and let cook for 1 minute more.
Add coconut milk and veg or chicken stock. Stir to combine and cook for about 10 minutes.
Add beans, parsley and salt and pepper to taste and cook for about 10-15 minutes, covered on medium low heat.
Add more stock as needed to get desired consistency.
Mmmmmmmmm I love Aduki beans! Butternut squash + aduki beans sound beautiful together…I like the Eden brand, too!