This is one of those recipes where I am driving around doing errands and I think, “I can’t wait to get home and have a salad with that awesome dressing!”. It’s a perfect blend of ingredients and I just love it. I must have a thing with vinegar because I try many types of vinaigrettes and sometimes the vinegar seems too strong and that is not my preference. This Tahini Salad Dressing has no vinegar and seems to hit all the right notes with me: it’s tangy, tasty, a little garlicky, and it works.
I use Vegenaise which makes it vegan. You could use yogurt in place of the Vegenaise.
One of my all-time favorite summer sandwiches is a tomato, basil and Vegenaise (or mayo) sandwich. Fresh summer tomatoes are a must for this sandwich. Sometimes a nice crusty bread or even toasted bread works lovely on this sandwich. Mayonnaise or Vegenaise (and I apply it liberally) along with a dash of salt and pepper and it is just delish!
The tahini I use for this dressing is called Tahini Cream and it is from Trader Joe’s. It is in the refrigerated section. I discovered this item when looking for regular tahini one day. It works great and, of course, regular tahini would work just as wonderfully.
This Tahini Salad Dressing is sure to become one of your favorites. I have used it on all kinds of salads; kale and regular fresh garden lettuce salads. Plus, it has even been used as a dip by dipping with crusty bread. If your salad has croutons, spread a little of this Tahini Salad Dressing on those, you will love it! I haven’t eaten it straight, but it has crossed my mind.
Also, here is a neat tip to squeeze lemons. It’s easy peasy and you’ll realize you don’t need to buy a lemon juicer! I am always on the look-out for easier ways to do things, so if you have a tip you would like to share, please leave a comment. I greatly appreciate it!
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- ¼ cup very hot or boiling water (I now use ⅛ cup for a thicker dressing)
- ½ small garlic clove (I use one small garlic clove)
- ½ cup yogurt or Vegenaise (add a tablespoon more for a thicker dressing)
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (see my tip/post regarding squeezing lemons without a juicer!)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place the tahini and water in small bowl and whisk together.
- Add tahini mixture and all other ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until well combined.
- Keeps well in jar in refrigerator for up to a week.
- Makes one cup
From the cookbook It’s All Good.
Are you asking yourself why are there cherry tomatoes in the background of the first photo, but none in the salad? One of the wonders of the world, my friends.
Wishing you a wonderful day! How is everyone’s summer going? I can’t believe how fast it seems to be flying by.