I love recipes that have five ingredients or less (plus salt and pepper to taste). Especially when they are simple, healthy and delicious. These mashed sweet potatoes are good any time of year, but would be a great “pin” for Thanksgiving recipes or side dishes. The recipe gets its creaminess from cashew cream. I have noticed a few recipes that call for cashew cream. Cashew cream is so easy to make, but does require some pre-planning.
Cashew Cream: Place 1/2 cup of cashews (I used raw) in a bowl and add cold water to cover them (covering by about an inch of water over cashews). Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, drain the cashews and rinse with cold water. In a blender, place the cashews and enough water to cover them. You will need to blend on high for several minutes until the mixture turns very smooth. To make a thicker cashew cream, reduce amount of water that you initially add to the blender with the cashews. This recipe calls for 1/3 cup cashew cream. Consider using any extra, left over cashew cream to spread over some warm apple crisp. Yum!
6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
1 tablespoon Earth Balance
1/3 cup cashew cream
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
In a large pot or dutch oven, place potatoes and cover with water, covering one inch over the potatoes.
On high, allow water to boil, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Potatoes should be tender and you can test with a knife. Drain the potatoes.
In a electric mixer, with the wire whisk attachment, mix the potatoes on low speed for 1-2 minutes. Add the Earth Balance, cashew cream, agave, and cinnamon. Continue to mix on medium-high for several minutes, until the mixture is creamy and smooth and resembles mashed sweet potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Then continue to mix for about 1-2 minutes more.
Then serve. Mixture can be stored in the frig in an airtight container for several days.
- 6 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 5 cups)
- 1 tablespoon Earth Balance
- ⅓ cup cashew cream
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot or dutch oven, place peeled and diced potatoes covered with water. Cook over high heat and bring to a boil, cooking uncovered. Boil for about 10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and place in an electric blender fitted with the whisk attachment. Blend the mixture for about 1 minute on low speed until mixture is smooth and creamy. Next, add Earth Balance, cashew cream, agave and cinnamon and whisk on medium high until smooth and the consistency of mashed potatoes. Add the salt and pepper to taste and whip one more minute.
- Serve immediately, but can be kept in an airtight container for up to a few days.
Here’s a link to the original recipe.
I would love to hear about your favorite way to cook sweet potatoes.
Thank you for stopping by to read my blog. I appreciate it!
I hope everyone is having a wonderful week.