I believe this Cranberry Orange Nut Bread fits into the quick breads category. Although it does take a bit of time to put together, I would consider it fairly quick. In the future, and I will be making this again, I plan on chopping the cranberries and nuts ahead of time, perhaps while I am having a cup of tea. It will cut down on the preparation and then this will indeed be a quick bread. I love banana bread (see recipes here and here, of course, but when I saw this recipe in the latest Whole Foods magazine, I knew I had to try it.
This would make a splendid hostess gift, say in a basket with fresh jam, some tea or coffee and some nuts. I made a few variations before settling on this recipe. Since I changed the flour from AP to White Whole Wheat, I had make some adjustments. The first loaf was delicious, but dry. So, I added some more moisture in the form of water and Greek yogurt. I would imagine you could sub apple sauce for the yogurt, although I have not tried that yet.
I still have quite a stash of fresh chopped cranberries and I might try cooking them with steel cut oats for breakfast. I was also thinking about making another loaf of this bread and freezing it as Thanksgiving day breakfast, if it would last that long.
What are some of your favorite fall or cranberry recipes?
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar (I used natural sugar)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- zest from one orange (about one tablespoon)
- juice from one orange
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- one large beaten egg
- ¾ cups chopped nuts ( I used ½ chopped pecans and ½ chopped walnuts)
- ¾ cups chopped fresh cranberries (these are kept in the refrigerated section of grocery store, do not sub dried cranberries.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix in orange zest.
- Next, melt coconut oil in the microwave for about 15 seconds.
- Place fresh squeezed orange juice in a measuring cup and add enough water to equal ¾ cup of liquid.
- Mix the coconut oil and orange juice into the flour mixture.
- Next add the beaten egg and mix well.
- Finally, add the nuts and cranberries and mix until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased loaf pan and bake for about 40 minutes until top is browned and a inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15 minutes. Can be served warm or cold.
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you love this recipe if you try it.